It is important to learn how to segment and personalize emails when doing email marketing. Email segmentation allows you to send personalized, relevant, and valuable content to your email subscribers. This results in high deliverability and conversion rates. Personalized emails have good open rates, high click-through rates, and low unsubscribe rates.
Watch the video: Email segmentation (How to segment and personalize your emails and increase email open rates)
Segmenting is a way of dividing your email list into smaller groups or segments using specific criteria. Before segmenting your list, you need to research about your subscribers.
- Get information about your subscribers by asking questions, conducting surveys, and noting how they entered into your email list.
- Get to know the needs of your subscribers and the best way to serve them. Different subscribers have different needs and approach you for different reasons. By putting those subscribers with the same interests together, you are able to provide each group or segment with what they need and avoid sending what is not relevant to them.
Variables to use when segmenting your email list
- Demographics – You can use information like gender, age, job title or roles, and such like to create email list segments.
- Behavioral segmentation – This is based on behavior patterns and how subscribers interact with your website, products or services. Consider whether they have purchased from you before, their level of engagement, which stage they are in the customer life cycle, and such like.
- Geographical segmentation – You can use this if your target audience is in a specific location, or if you are interested in a certain custom or culture. This also helps you send emails with optimized time zones.
- Other things to consider include customer loyalty, what type of content the subscribers are consuming, employment status, financial status, and lifestyle.
The variables you use depend on your brand.
Segmenting allows you to get to the core of what your customers or clients want so that you can tailor your products or services according to their specific needs.
Listen carefully to what your subscribers want and implement the changes accordingly. Listen and learn.
The process of segmenting your list is an ongoing process. You have to keep collecting information and make the necessary adjustments.
Your aim in email marketing should be to have high open rates, high click-through rates, and low unsubscribe rates.
A healthy email list has good deliverability, constant increase in new subscribers, high engagement rate, and low bounce rates.
Download my FREE checklist on how to launch your online coaching business. Download Here.
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.